Longman Study Dictionary of American English is an invaluable resource for low-intermediate learners. The dictionary accelerates vocabulary development by explaining academic and content-area vocabulary with clear and accessible definitions and example sentences.
More than 46,000 words, phrases and meanings, including content vocabulary such as English Language Arts, Social Studies and Science
More than 20,000 examples sentences explain words in context
Clear definitions using only the 2000 common words of the Longman Defining Vocabulary for easy comprehension
Words from the Academic Word List are highlighted to develop students’ awareness of academic language
The integrated Thesaurus explains thousands of synonyms and antonyms
Word Family boxes show words with the same root, such as compete, competition, competitor, competitive
Word Origins explain where words such as debate, decade, and define come from
The Study Center offers hundreds of interactive exercises for Vocabulary, Grammar, Reading and Writing
The integrated Photo Dictionary helps students learn words by topic.
Especially developed for pre- and low-intermediate students, this dictionary contains all the vocabulary learners need for school, along with useful Thesaurus, Word Family, Grammar and Usage boxes.The online dictionary offers pronunciation practice, vocabulary building and lots more support.
- PLUS additional collocations, synonyms, and word origins
- Guide on how to use the dictionary
- Search using wildcards and suggested words
- Predictive text in search helps you with spelling as you look for words
- Search for idioms and phrasal verbs
- Search history to help you find recently searched for words
- Support for search from within other compatible apps on your device
- Bookmark your favorite words
- My vocabulary